Argentinean legend Diego Maradona caused a minor stir this week after he dared to state that Real Madrid and Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo strikes more fear into the hearts of goalkeepers than his country's current favourite son Lionel Messi.
Taken in context though it isn't really that controversial what the former Napoli midfielder said:
"Cristiano is a predator in front of goal. You can’t let Cristiano shoot from anywhere in the opposition half.
Goalkeepers are scared of him. You have to be honest, goalkeepers are scared of Cristiano. They are not so scared of Messi in those areas because he doesn’t have the same power as Cristiano.
Cristiano is an incredible professional. I think at this present time he is right up there at Messi’s level."
In fact this is all rather lighthearted material from the man who often appears before a camera or a microphone without a filter.
Here are ten of his real gems:
- My mother thinks I am the best. And I was raised to always believe what my mother tells me.
- There would be no debate about who was the best footballer the world had ever seen - me or Pele. Everyone would say me.
- Pele should go back to the museum.
- Usually, when you see (Pele) these days, it's only at award ceremonies next to the president of FIFA and looking like a doll that's being moved by remote control
- We all know what the French are like and Platini as a Frenchman thinks he knows it all.
- My legitimate kids are Dalma and Giannina. The rest are a product of my money and mistakes.
- I think (George W.) Bush is a murderer. I'm going to head the march against him stepping foot on Argentine soil.
- Maybe Neymar is the best player in the world, but only if you say that Messi is from a different planet.
- I say this: the player who scores our winning goal in the final is free to enter me from behind
- To those who did not believe: now suck my dick - I'm sorry ladies for my words - and keep on sucking it. I am either white or black. I will never be grey in my life. You treated me as you did. Now keep on sucking dicks. I am grateful to my players and to the Argentinian people. I thank no one but them. The rest, keep on sucking dicks.