After listening to Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy put a bumbling BBC interviewer in his place earlier this week, I thought it would be fun to look back at the former Republic of Ireland managers funniest quotes:
- "Opinions are like backsides, we've all got them but it's not wise to air them in public."
- "Anyone who uses the word 'quintisentially' in a half time talk is talking crap."
- "What I learned from Jack [Charlton] - ensure that you're all inside the tent pissing out and get rid of any fellow who's outside the tent pissing in."
- "Before the goal it was two rubbish teams playing rubbish football."
- "The Serbian keeper is a big tart doing that [going down injured] because there's nothing wrong with him."
- "I started [trying to give up alcohol] on Shrove Tuesday and then by Ash Wednesday something had happened and I'd had a bottle of beer."
- "Some people might be frustrated with that result? Some people can fuck off."
- "At the moment we've got 16 first team players. My initials stand for Mick McCarthy, not Merlin the Magician."
- "We've got the drug testers here today. They shouldn't be going to see the players. They should go to see the officials instead."
- Reporter: "No yellow cards today..."
McCarthy: "No and I asked all the lads to go out there and knock seven bells out of everybody as well like I normally do. Shame that isn't it? They went out there and played free-flowing football and were rampant for 45 minutes. What were they playing at?"